Yamaha Clavinova CLP-625
The Yamaha Clavinova CLP-625 is the best entry-level Clavinova by Yamaha so far. It features Yamaha CFX and Bösendorfer Imperial grand piano samples for a superb sound reproduction. The Graded Hammer 3X (GH3X) keyboard action with escapement feel gives it the touch of an acoustic piano. The design has been updated and has a modern look.
Once we unboxed and assembled the Clavinova CLP-625 I noticed immediately that they brought back the sheet music clips/holders on the music desk. This feature was not available on the 525 and it was greatly missed. This is a subtle feature but comes in handy when reading from sheets or music books.
New to CLP-625 is a Binaural CFX sample that makes playing with headphones a truly immersive experience. Binaural sampling is a highly sophisticated recording technique in which a special combination of microphones are used; including two installed into the ears of a model human head so that the sound reproduced is that from the pianist’s perspective. You will need a good set of high quality head phones to enjoy this feature.
The piano looks similar to the previous model 525 will some slight case design changes especially with the legs as they curve at the top and have a more modern look about them.
When first playing the CLP-625 I noticed right away that the black keys felt great. All CLP Clavinovas now have the synthetic Ivory and synthetic Ebony key tops for the white and black keys respectively. This gives the piano an incredibly great feel and was a great improvement over the feel of previous models. The keys are cool to the touch and very moisture absorbent.
The synthesized and sampled sound components that produce the piano and other instruments within the CLP-625 are superb. Hammer noise along with undampened high resonant strings and string resonance are all combined together resulting in rich realistic piano sounds that are a pleasure to play and are easily expressive. The additional sounds within the Clavinova produce resonant basses and higher octave orchestral string sounds that are realistic which provide additional support when coupled with the piano samples.
- Yamaha CFX Sample, Yamaha’s finest 9-foot concert grand and the Bösendorfer Imperial Sample, Bösendorfer’s esteemed 9-foot 6” distinctly versatile, light and mellow concert grand.
- GH3X (Graded Hammer 3X) keyboard action reproduces the touch of an acoustic instrument, from the heavier feel in the lower register to the lighter touch in the upper octaves. Additionally the escapement mechanism that reproduces the feel of an acoustic piano as it goes through the let-off of the jack and the fall of the hammer when a key is played very softly. This along with Synthetic Ebony & Ivory key tops that reproduce the tactile surface of the Ivory white keys, and wooden Ebony keys of keyboards once used in acoustic pianos make this entry level the best feeling Clavinova to date.
- Key-off samples deliver the delicate change in sound the instant the damper falls back to the string. The moment a pianist’s fingers are lifted from the keys of a grand piano, subtle changes occur in the instrument’s tone as the damper is lowered onto the strings to mute the sound. Key-off samples feature actual recordings of these changes, offering a faithful reproduction of the most subtle nuances in the piano’s tone, creating a more realistic overall sound.
- String Resonance recreates and emulates the sympathetic sounds of other strings resonating, just like the behavior of acoustic pianos.
- Damper Resonance (DSP) recreates the sound of the inside of a grand piano when the dampers are off the strings. Stereo Sustain samples provide mellow reverberations when the player depresses the damper pedal. Similarly, Damper Resonance DSP provides broad and deep resonance when the pedal is used.
- Acoustic Optimizer physically adjusts the acoustic flow by using a special design and position within the instrument to control resonance and enrich the overall sound. Acoustic Optimizer delivers naturally smooth tonal richness across the entire keyboard by regulating the flow of sound and control of tone from the cabinet of the instrument.
- Intelligent Acoustic Control (IAC) automatically adjusts the EQ of the built-in stereo speaker system to the player’s setting, ensuring the richest tone at any volume level. The instrument automatically adjusts the balance of bass and treble, creating a truer sound with more depth.
- The Stereophonic Optimizer is unique to Yamaha. When playing and listening to the instrument using headphones, the Stereophonic Optimizer adjusts the spacing of the sound and the separation from the piano, resulting in a spacious, surround sound quality that will inspire you to play for hours at a time. Within this private listening environment, the sound of the piano can be perceived to come from the body of the instrument rather than from the headphones, providing a more realistic and natural experience.
- A standard USB cable can be used to connect the instrument to a computer or mobile device, opening up a world of creativity, entertainment, and education. iOS devices can be connected to the instrument using the Yamaha UD-BT01, the i-UX1 connecter cable, or the Apple Camera Connection kit. The instrument can be used to interact as a controller and/or sound source with a variety of music creation applications.
- Polyphony is the measure of note data, and the more polyphony you have, the more notes can be played simultaneously. With 256-note polyphony, even the most complex piano compositions can be played without fear of dropped notes.
The best touch and feel of any entry model Clavinova to date.
No Auxiliary Outputs
Improved From Previous Model:
- Yamaha CFX and Bösendorfer Imperial piano samples
- GH3X keyboard action
- Yamaha CFX Binaural sample (for headphone use)
- Key Off samples
- String Resonance samples
- Stereophonic Optimizer
- New built-in 50 Classical Music Masterpieces
Step Ups To Higher Model:
- Split Mode
- USB to DEVICE
- WiFi connectivity (with optional UD-WL01)
- Virtual Resonance Modeling (VRM)
- WAV audio playback & recording (via USB to DEVICE)
- 1/8″ Aux Input
- 1/4″ L&R Aux Output
- 16-track, 250 song recorder (vs. 2-track, 1 song)